JEWELRY CARE - Sterling Silver
Sterling silver is an everyday metal but does require some care and caution to last. Below I have provided some helpful tips and information to keep your sterling silver jewelry looking and feeling new every time you wear it.
Sterling silver is 92.5% silver (this is why sterling silver will have a 925 stamp) and 7.5% other metals. It’s the other metals, primarily copper, that makes the sterling silver tarnish. The copper reacts to moister and sulfur in the air, causing the sterling silver to tarnish. Over time any sterling silver jewelry exposed to air will tarnish. Silver tarnishes faster in areas with high humidity and air pollution. When handling sterling silver jewelry, even the oils on our fingers can cause early tarnishing. A general rule of thumb for silver jewelry: it should be the last thing you put on before leaving the house, and the first thing removed when returning home.
Properly caring and storing jewelry is the best way to slow the tarnish process and to keep your jewelry looking beautiful.
- The best way to prevent tarnishing is to store the jewelry in a clean, dry airtight container, like a plastic bag, or Tupperware. The plastic bags I have provided are biodegradable.
- An anti-tarnish strip stored with the silver jewelry helps to absorb tarnish-causing elements.
- Please do not wear the jewelry while showering, swimming or exercising. Do not leave silver jewelry in the bathroom unprotected. The humidity and moisture speeds up the tarnishing process.
- Minimize sterling silver’s contact to chemicals found in hairspray, perfume, deodorant, body lotion and make up.
- After taking off your silver jewelry, clean it with a dry soft cloth, or polishing cloth, before putting it back into an airtight container.
- When an item does begin to tarnish, cleaning it right away will make it easier to restore the shine than if you let it sit longer. Use a silver polishing cloth to remove oxidation from silver.
Please feel free to reach out to me for any cleaning questions or estimates to have your Megan Rider Jewelry freshened up. Send an email with some photos to: email@example.com